Sunday, February 28, 2010

The hydrant - Amy

I saw this fire hydrant while walking in my neighborhood in Pleasanton. Apparently Morris Greenberg (no relation) invented the "California" wet barrel fire hydrant. He was based out of San Francisco during the 1850's. 

I have been out west for 23 years now. It seems like just yesterday that I boarded a People  Express flight out of Buffalo (during a blizzard) to head cross country to live in San Francisco. I really had no idea where I was going. I just knew it was in the same state as Los Angeles, but not nearby. I do have vivid memories of that first week. My winter coat was quickly shed and I was chomping down on the most tender and sweet strawberries. Who would have known that you can actually live in a place during the winter months without a down parka, shovel and ice scrapper?! And who knew that you can get more  then just grapefruit, pears and apples in February?! I became a quick learner.

I do miss my beloved New York. The edginess, pace and bread products beckons me. I still consider myself a New Yawker and I am teaching my daughter how to pronounce some words correctly - like Pawl for Paul, cawfee for coffee, and cawf for cough. I'll try not to snicker too loudly when she (and I) learn about California "history." How much history will there be for a state that entered the union in 1850? I just hope that I will be a quick learner.

2 comments: